Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Clearly I am tired, or I would not (probably.. ok, ok, probably I would anyways!  Unrepentantly, too!) be inflicting this on you - but I was right!
Depending, of course, on your estimation of the value of your time; it really only makes sense to speed when the distance you have to travel is over twice the value of the speed you are traveling.  Otherwise, you don't save enough time (imo) for the possible ticket, not to mention the extra gas you'll need to buy, to bother.
Translation:  if the speed limit is 75, and you have 150 miles to go, you will only save 7.5 minutes by speeding up to 80.  The time you save only gets less as you have fewer miles to go.  With 100 miles to go, you save 5 minutes by going 80 instead of 75.  But if you have more than twice your speed value (75 mph and 200 miles to drive, for instance), you begin to save enough time that it might actually be worthwhile.  

Happy 1 am!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

clearly you are completely unrepentant concerning inflicting enlightening statements on unsuspecting insomniacs.

DAD

Anonymous said...

And my latest idea is to drive slower, take more time, and get better gas mileage! When I left Manhattan and drove to Dad's (500 miles) I set the cruise at 65 mph and jumped 7 mpg average (from 30 to 37)....my brother figured out that I saved 3 gallons, which is $12. Okay, even tho you didn't ask my opinion....you have it! (My brothers can't believe I have enough patience to drive slower!!!)
Carolyn J

Leilani said...

Hi, Carolyn! Yeah, I've been driving a bit slower too - part of the time anyways. I knew it saved some gas, but I didn't know how much. 7 mpg is pretty good!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leilani, I've heard this thought process before, but you helped put it in perspective!! I to have been trying to not exceed the speed limit. Michael says you don't drive slower on long trips when you have 3 kids, even if it saves gas!! Linda L

Mama Moe said...

So glad to have you here!