We had a small moment of silence at the grave. Dustin and Brock were the buriers. Scott and Tessa gave short eulogies. The remainder of us were mourners, and all of us dripped. Very rainy day.
I read that killdeer often have two nests in a season, so I am pleased they can go start again - but I hope they don't do it in our gravel patch this time. :( No way I can keep them safe during convention, if they didn't even manage one big workday. The mother bird sat near where her nest had been and cried for a while and then she was gone - doubtless to build again. Lesson of the day: don't let one disaster keep you from ever trying again.
3 comments:
How sad! -- I was looking forward to a picture of baby killdeer.
I was too. :(
Oh my, Leilani, I haven't checked in with you in a while and I am sorry I didn't as you would have been very entertaining! I am so sorry the little eggs got ran over. I do have a picture in my mind of the funeral. :-) Good days to you at Dagmar. Please give Shawna my greetings. Linda
Post a Comment