In other news, we tried to go camping Monday. We got driven out by clouds of killer mosquitoes. OFF did work... to the extent that it kept them hovering an inch above your skin instead of landing and biting. I have decided that what I really want isn't OFF, but DEAD. I'll spray it on my clothes and it will kill them on contact. Ha! Dead Mosquito!
It's a pity, too, because it was a beautiful location - by a lake up in the mountains - and gorgeous weather. I had the hike I planned to take up to a outcropping of rocks all figured out... I even slept reasonably well for Camping Out. No elk bugling in my ears until 3 am, no bears snuffling about. Only hordes of deer tramping through. I wish I could have somehow looked out without letting the mosquitoes in... they were really close, by how they sounded, and it would have been cool to see. So I was only awake from about midnight until 3 am or so - sleeping before and after-hand. Not bad at all.
Well, and I forgot waking up at 6 am by someone shoving the boat off the gravel to go fishing. I would never have believed that the sound of oars being dipped into the water could be SO LOUD. In my groggy state, it sounded like a moose wading through the shallows. A very big, very loud, very near moose.
Ah well. Next time, I shall be prepared!
No comments:
Post a Comment