Saturday, October 23, 2010

I was going to tell the tale of the Return From North Dakota.
(which reminds me of a kid's book called Return From Witch Mountain, which I haven't read for so long that I have no idea what it's about any longer and am surprised I still remember the name.)
((And now that I google it, I find it is also a movie, and the contents don't sound at all familiar, which makes me wonder if I ever did really read the book, or just somehow got the title lodged in my brain.))
(((This is like P.S. and P.P.S and P.P.P.S at the end of a letter. Just thought I'd mention it.)))

Right. So. We drove off in that wonderful after-convention haze. And it was still glorious weather. Made it just over the border into Montana to spend the night with Nichole's folks (thanks again, Mr&Mrs Nichole'sParents!)

Monday, headed south to a place called Medicine Rocks. This is a seriously cool place to roam around in. We allotted ourselves 30-60 minutes in the Grand Time Scheme, and it totally was not enough. I forget but I think it's sandstone; anyways, there are all of these incredible rocks bulging up out of the ground, sculpted into all kinds of neat shapes by the wind. It's not desert, though it reminds me of some of the pictures of southern Utah desert rocks. But there is lots of grass and plenty of trees around. Very peaceful and beautiful. When I find the pictures I took of it, I'll post one.

When we finally tore ourselves away and headed on south, it was just about time to roll into some teeny burg, the name of which I have forgotten, but which boasted 2 entire restaurants for us to choose between! The prices were exceedingly cheap - and though the portions were a bit on the small side, it was decent food. Not great, but no complaints. Then on to Gillette where I acquired a brand-new, good for another four years, drivers' license. Good thing too, as that was the day it expired. Another hour west and we crashed into Darla and Michael's in time for supper.

Tuesday, we managed to keep Dad in the house until about 9:30... stopped for lunch in Billings, and carried on to Lewistown. It was fun to get to spend a little time with Debbie - we've known each other since we were about 3, I think. We got there in good time that afternoon. There were some people from New Zealand who had stopped by to visit, and they were all going off to the Elk Refuge - so Mom and Dad went along. They said it was definitely worth the drive - we've seen elk before, but not in such vast quantities. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, too, but I decided to stay home where it was quiet instead. Wednesday, Lloyd took Dad out and we girls took ourselves off to lunch, and then paint-chip-hunting. And Thursday, we sped back to Ronan.


2 comments:

Joyce said...

By the way, our first choice paint chip turned out to be too tan...sigh. I found one here that looks better and I hope it works as good on the wall as it does on the chip!

Darla said...

And we enjoyed having you here. Except for your dad getting sick. None of us did, tho.