Which, to be honest, was not quite so obsessively manicured on this trip (or perhaps just in this location) as it was the last time I was in that lovely (and overly tidy) state.
Convention was - need I say it? - wonderful. And the weather was beautiful too! It was gloriously sunny the entire week, not a cloud in the sky. It averaged around 68-70 during the day, colder at night. Saturday was the coolest day, and I did leave my jacket on most of the day (light jacket, don't get any ideas about down or winter or anything here).
And for being right in the middle of a city, it was amazingly quiet. Very nice. Saturday, also, we took a walk down by the river which was really nice. No turtles, alas, but lots of leaves to rustle through (something I was deprived of as a child, growing up as I did in rainy western Washington. We never had crisp dried leaves. We had sodden black-spotted leaves.), and was a very nice walk all around.
One thing we heard about which I really enjoyed was gratitude. I will make a separate post for that, otherwise this one will be way too long. It probably already is, but you'll have to suffer through. Or not, I guess. You could stop reading!
Oh - it was my birthday today. I'm not even there at Mandan. But my dearly beloved brother, may all his hair turn grey and fall out, sent me numerous (read 4) birthday cards, all of which were waiting for me on my arrival last Tuesday - and all of which mentioned prominently that I'm turning 40. Am 40 now.
I think I'll save the account of the departure for another post too. For one, I'm getting sleepy and can't think of anything interesting to say. Other than this: Going east is much harder than going west, in the matter of time changes. At least for me. I don't know about the rest of you. Breakfast is at 6:00 in the morning! That's insane!! (7 for them, 6 for me. I slept through it anyways, but it still is insane!) And everyone is in bed with the lights out at 9:15. (10:15... 9 for me.)
More to come...
9 comments:
Nice you had the time though! Enjoy your stay with the kidz! Time changes should be void I agree although it sounds lots harder on you than me :D
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Leilani!!! And did I read that correctly??? You're 40????? I would have NEVER guessed that!! I hope that you had a splendid birthday and that this coming year is the best one yet!!
heehee
Thanks!
Leilani
I would have sent 40 cards, but that would have been kinda 'spensive, dontcha think??
You mean you would grudge your onliest sister such a teensy expense??? Gasp. I'm shocked. Etc. ;)
(me)
I love the overly manicured North Dakota description - and glad you had GRAND days at Mandan!!
(& glad it was less frustratingly manicured this time around for ya...). :)
WHAT???? Another circa 1970 child?? I'm SOOO sorry I didn't know that. I could have helped you ease into 40..being as I'm such an old hand at it... ;-)
Overly Manicured? Really? I don't get that.....and, you were in the less-manicured part of the state. Strange. To me, anyway.
We DO like our fields plowed in straight lines, the equipment lined up just so (John Deere here, Case there), the trees trimmed, flower beds impeccable, gardens hoed, barns painted, graineries silvered, etc, etc, etc. It helps us get through the stinking humid weather having something to do. or something like that...
Post a Comment