Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sandy and I are having a lot of fun being right on the spot here with the re-building of Ronan convention. Last week, we measured counters and picked out a border of wallpaper, and bought a fridge. Now we are trying to decide where to put which drawers and if we want them deep or shallow. The dishwasher has already switched sides of the sink at least 4 times. In January, we’ll be painting the brother’s quarters - they decided they don’t want bare plywood walls, can you believe it! I think we should paint the sister’s too... I don’t want pink walls. ;) But of course, my wants are considerably farther down the scale of importance (especially since I don’t even know that I’ll ever be here for preps!) and at least we HAVE paint and not bare wood.

Monday, we went back to the Bison range and watched them run their herd through. They weigh them, read a microchip, brand the calves and give them any shots they may need; then turn them back out for another year. This herd has one of the most diverse gene pools, they say. They try to keep about 350; if there are more, they send them to other ranges or sell them to private herd. I think we saw the biggest bull of the herd, too. There is a pneumatic sort of cage to hold them in while they take samples, and this one bull filled it entirely. His hump touched the top bars and his nose and tail reached from the front to the back. He was VAST.
We got to stand right above where they were working. There's a sort of wide walkway, and you can lean on the fence and watch from above. That is, if you're early enough or lucky enough to get to the fence! There were at least 9 schoolbuses full of kids, plus all the other interested onlookers! But we did eventually work our way close enough to see. :)

And last little bit of trivia. Did you know you can padlock a piano? I never did - but the one in the hall we use on Sundays is padlocked, well and firmly. Good thing both Sandy and I can sing, because we certainly won't be using the piano for the hymns.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Hi! Fun to read about recent events there in your field....as well as to read & reminisce about the fun details of when a few of us 'extras' were also in your field. :)
Especially enjoyed the macchiato account, woodstove cooking descriptions, etc.
"Ditto" to the 'loved cooking on the woodstove' statement. That was definitely great fun!
Have a great week--see ya Monday...

Nichole said...

thanks for the update! love hearing of your field and your companion, too! have a good 'un!

Darla said...

I heard you, I heard you! You said "sweet" on my blog, really you did! The next thing we know, you'll be saying "precious"!

Sounds like you're having fun there. Too bad you aren't there in the summer...we may be planning another trip that way in July...

Anonymous said...

Leilani, you crack me up!! Thanks for the update!! Maybe we'll see you down this way? I caught a glimpse of the special meeting list, but I have yet to be in a meeting where they had one available. Maybe by the end of the month, I'll get my fingers on one and will be "in the know"! :) See ya!

Leilani said...

GAH! NO, never!!!
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER say precious in that tone of voice with that meaning. Ever. Period. If I do, you may instantly commit me to an alzheimer's unit.

No, alas, Jen. I'm on the mostly-mid-MT route - Start in Billings and head up to Great Falls.