Still updating.... (just in a different post because of being a different subject).
Sandy gave me the best birthday present of all! She'd asked me the other day what I'd like to do, ideally, for my b-day, and I'd said 'Oh, if I could do anything, I'd go horseback riding, but that won't work. Mom and Dad are coming, etc, etc.' So this morning, she said she'd fixed it all up!
We had a beautiful ride. I think I was on the tallest horse I've ever been on - or nearly, if not quite. His back was at about my chin level, and the stirrups were almost to my waist. I had to climb onto the back of the four-wheeler to get on, and I didn't dare get off during the ride, for fear of never getting back on again!
We went along a sandy dirt road that made a big loop down the hills into the river bottom and back up again. Horse A (mine - we never did learn their names, bad us) was of two minds about this riding business. He rather thought he liked it at first, and we did a bit of trotting and cantering; then he seemed to realize we were Going Farther, and got a little rebellious. But after going in circles in the road for a while (because he wouldn't go forward and I wouldn't go backward!), we came to an agreement: he would do what I said. ;) And, as I said, the ride was beautiful. It wound down through pine and aspen trees, along the river, back up through a thick grassy sward, and took us about 2 hours total. The whole time, the mountains to the east were visible, snowy and with the sun lighting them up. For a while, after we turned on the loop and were heading back again, the river was just beside us, those mountains were in the background, and I felt like we really should be on the front cover of a Country Magazine!
When we got back, it took me a few minutes to straighten my knees back out to walking position - along with being one of the tallest horses I've ever ridden, he was getting close to being the largest, too. Oh glorious day. :D
5 comments:
Hi Daughter:
We got home at about 9:30pm, which I think Mom already told you. It sounds like you had a great time on the back of that horse. I think you should be able to count horse back riding as the same as moderate gardening(it works the muscles without causing heavy breathing), which is 118 steps per minute.
It was good to check in with you Leilani. Sounds like you have been having good days and days that it would have been fun to have been with you. The elk experience sounded fun to have watched. I haven't been on a horse for at least 30 years, so this sounded like a fun, lovely experience....but it might have taken my knees a LONG time to get back to normal.:-) We are glad to have Carolyn and Heidi back. Linda L
Oh my! That's the best birthday DAY of all for you! Wonderful! I can picture your "front cover of Country magazine" ride up there! A perfect description!
And here's your dear friend who forgot to wish you a happy birthday...bad me! I am glad you had a good day. Kudos to Sandy for planning that. A card will find it's way to you.
Happy Birthday!
That was really special of Sandy to make your birthday wish come true! Great word pictures of your ride and the wildlife viewing. I won't ask how many candles on your cake ;)
Post a Comment