We've been reading through Jeremiah. It's my fault, I freely confess it - I had slowly made my way through Isaiah, and wanted to go on to Jeremiah, so we decided to read it in our studies with folks. It's slow going - every couple of chapters, we read in Luke, to get something more hopeful. And, of course, sometimes the people we're with are reading somewhere else, so we read that together, instead. But let me tell you, I'm glad for the help! We read the 10th chapter today, and there's a verse there where the Lord says, 'This is my grief, I must bear it'. It just made me so aware how much it does grieve God when his people turn away from him; are careless with the gifts he's given, or refuse them entirely.
Today is an incredibly gorgeous day. It got down to about 22 last night, so this morning, everything was covered with frost. Now, there's only frost left in the shade. The air is chilly, but there isn't even a hint of a cloud in the sky. And we're surrounded by larches. (Although, I have now been told that /these/ trees are tamaracks? Up until today, I thought they were larch! Whichever, they're turning yellow. ;) And I plan to put a picture up when I've got a better connection.) I've never been anywhere where they grew - it's fascinating to watch the hills. All these trees that look like evergreens, are turning yellow! This morning, on first brief glance, it fooled me into thinking the sun was up already; but no, just all those yellow trees.
I wish that they didn't have to lose their leaves until spring; I could be much more content with long grey winter days if there were all these gloriously yellow and orange-leafed trees brightening things up.
It's a day that makes me want to go riding. Of course, there aren't many days that I wouldn't want to go riding in, so maybe that's not such a good description. ;) But maybe a hike instead - we're out of Thompson Falls a ways, surrounded by the hills and woods and meadows. Not another house to be seen. But it's also hunting season... either I'll have to wear orange (don't own any), or sing-song loudly, 'I'm not a deer, I'm not a deer...' all the time. Ugh. Besides, then I'd probably get shot out of sheer irritation as I scare all the real deer away. ;)
4 comments:
Cuz....I love reading your blog....I forgot that some parts of the world are having season changes. Here in the land of your birth....it's eighty and somewhat breezy. We're all doing well. The kids are growing like weeds, sweet smelling weeds that we used to suck the nectar out of not the noxious kind. All though they aren't always sweet smelling. Especially the ones who are still in diapers.
Keep up with the blog, miss you terribly, Daphne
I've enjoyed the tamaracks also this fall. I had forgotten them a bit over all the years I've been away in WA and AK. Aren't they great? On our trip last week to N. Idaho we really enjoyed seeing the painted hues of the mountainsides with the gold and green.
Uh....I can just picture you singing and tramping through the hills! :) Made me laugh!
Thanks.
d.
Leilani...I've said it before and I'll say it again...you make me laugh OUT LOUD! In fact, today I had a student that looked at me like I was crazy when I was laughing at your post today. Thanks for sharing!
I'm with others...you make me laugh. I love reading your blog too. And I can picture you tramping through the hills singing loudly! Yep!
Post a Comment