Saturday, January 12, 2008

So last night, we went sledding.  :)  I haven't been sledding for, um, so many years, I can't even remember.  The last sledding party I do remember, I spent sitting in my living room with bronchitis.  
So my only excuse(s) for not really wanting to go was that A. I was tired.  And B. I'd forgotten how much fun it was.
We had a nice bonfire, and they dragged a sled trail straight down the hill to the driveway.  But most of us just ended up going along the driveway itself.  Sandy and I tried the straight trail a couple of times, but we couldn't keep going straight along it, and always ended in a snowbank far too soon.  The driveway was just right - packed down and icy, and a long slope with a nice curve at the beginning.  After I figured out how to steer (dig a heel in the way you want to go, and don't listen to all those kids who say all you have to do is lean!), it was a blast!  If you did it just right, you could go all the way to the end of the drive, then make the turn at the mailbox and keep on down the road.  I never tried to see if I could have gotten to Leroy and Lindy's driveway (1/2 mile down) - I didn't want to have to walk back!
We didn't start until probably 7:30 - so it was dark, with just the yard light and the fire.  And not too cold - about 28-30, I think.  So you were warm enough with just walking.  I'm pleased with my new coat; all I had on was a turtleneck, no sweater or anything, and I was perfectly comfortable.
Several families with kids came - so there were at least 10 children; and most of us - and even Robert and Julia got onto sleds!  Loren mostly pushed the kids off - racing down the driveway, and sprawling on the ice as the sleds went racing on around the corner.  Donovan and Eldon built two enormous snow-people: a man and a woman next to each other.  Afterwards, there was cocoa and brownies and popcorn in the cookshack; and smores if you wanted to roast them over the fire.  I didn't stay for much of that; my bed was sounding altogether too welcoming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a grand time, Lelani. It would have been fun to have been there. Stuart, Justin and Hattie are enjoying having their Coleman grandparents with them. It is always good to check in with you once in a while. Linda

Darla said...

Sledding! What fun! I went sledding a couple weeks before the end of the year and had a good time...OK Annisia and I went down the hill once. It was really cold...like 6 gedrees or something. Anyways, I think it'll be a fun thing to do with the kids. I'll keep checking out your pics. I like the one of you and Sandy peeking thru the old truck window.