Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Yesterday, it was 28 deg in our cookhouse when John got there to start the fire.  I don't know what time that was, but when I got there at about 6:40, there was ice in the sink where the water splashes from running all night, and the towel we keep to sop up the drips was frozen into shape around the wood...
(The water runs all the time to keep the hose from freezing, fyi.)  
It was -7 out.  It warmed up to 3.9.  Today, it was a whole 7 deg warmer - made it all the way up to 12!  Heatwave!!
Makes me glad I was cooking.  ;)  I got to spend all day next to a nice cozy woodstove.  :D

(I am just now wondering... what happened to my Book Post??  I did it, honest, I did, Jen.  A couple of days ago.  And I have just now noticed that it's not there....)

So, for my part of the fun, since I have been terribly lax taking pictures, and haven't really managed to keep you all updated with fun posts... The Menu!

Yesterday for lunch we had Shepherd's Pie.  Supper was Split Pea Soup.  
Today:  Lunch was potato corn chowder (provided by Mary) and chicago style deep dish pizza (I think I may have been the first person ever to make that pizza with deer burger in cast iron frypans in a wood stove oven... ;).  Supper was a roast 'Misc. Pork Item'.  I'm not sure what it was, but it had a bone in and looked rather like a ham before it was hammed.  Is that a word?
Tomorrow - beef roast and bean paella (presuming it works; I've got the beans soaking and the roast roasting) and leftovers for supper. 
You may all drool now.  ;)

It's beautiful out.  :)  The snow creaks underfoot, and there's nearly a full moon.  Last night, it was clear - you could stand in the middle of the snow and stare up at the sky.  For a few seconds until you froze.  ;)  But gorgeous!  And during the day - when there's sun... - there are a million little rainbow sparkles everywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leilani, your posts always make me smile. They are always so "Leilani-ish". :) And that's a GOOD thing!!! It usually reminds me of the days when you lived down here! :) Thanks for sharing! I enjoy "catching up" with you! :)

Darla said...

Me too, Me too! What Jen said! It makes me feel like you are sitting here in the library with us, in that big comfy chair, surrounded by books you are reading and kids (mine) you are reading to, especially when you say things in your blog like "and the book had a shiny cover on it with pictures of food."