Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The fair was great. Small, true, but lots of fun. :) We went through the quilt and other crafts exhibit hall (mostly all quilts), and the hay barn (did you know that they actually have Hay Judging??? I didn't.) It sure smelled good, though all the bales looked pretty much alike to me. I did manage to distinguish between grass hay and alfalfa though!
Oh, and ate disgustingly greasy fair food. Whee. One note though - if getting a corn dog at a fair, double check the place you're getting it from. I got one that was just nasty. I didn't even try to eat the whole thing; gave up and went to get an Indian Taco from another stand instead. And, wouldn't you know it, they were selling corndogs too, and ones that looked much much better. Ah well. I consoled myself with a funnel cake. Mmmm.
And then.....
drumroll
the pig wrestling!
They started with the kids' teams. Looked mostly like younger teenagers, though one team was probably four 10 yr olds. The pig was almost bigger than they were! I should back up a bit. It's a ring; maybe 15 feet in diameter, lined with heavy plastic and filled with clay-mud and water. Duane said it was probably bentonite. There's a barrel in the middle that you have to stick the pig into.
Ok. So, they auctioned the teams off first - the kids' teams went for anywhere between 50-100 dollars; the older people usually 100-200. A couple teams were up in the $400 range though, and one men's team was $500! That seems awfully high to me! I guess that is the prize money though. 15% goes to a scholarship, and then the first and second place teams split the rest 60/40. Then they let a pig into the ring, slathered mud on its back, and the fun started. It wasn't very fair, I didn't think - they put extra water in before the women's teams started, so it was much slippery. And I think they gave them bigger pigs!
But it was really funny, and the people trying to catch the pigs hammed it up. But amazingly enough - if they actually managed to catch the pig, it only took an average of 30 seconds to get it into the barrel. There was a firetruck standing by - I wondered if it was there to resuscitate any pigs who had heart attacks! But no, they were just loaning their hose to wash the contestants off. And believe me, they needed washing!
AND... I got 9000 steps out of the deal. :) I'm a whole day away from Independence now. At this rate, I'm going to starve in the mountains like the Donner party. ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup...good 'ol pig wrestling. The Curves gym that I go to here in town approached me recently to be on their pig wrestling team. I hesitated for about .25 seconds and then said, "no." Monique laughed about it and told them later, "Do you know that Jen *hates* to be dirty?!" They didn't. I can only imagine such an event.

andy and michelle said...

Hee hee. I love your posts Leilani! I've seen pig wrestling and loved it, but am wondering how you got 9000 steps out of the deal. Did you pace around the pens, cheering on the teams? Or does jumping up and down in the bleachers count? =)

I love that you're in our town. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jen! It would be awfully hard to not get dirty. Hee.

We walked to the fair is how I racked up the miles. And then around the fair and then back home from the fair. Though jumping up and down in the bleachers SHOULD count, if you ask me! And I think I should get extra credit if they are uphill steps, too!

Leilani

Anonymous said...

I had a funnel cake too...ooh, it was SO good and had the effect that fair food always has...it made me way too full and I have no desire to eat it again for another five years!

Darla said...

9000 steps! WahHoo! I have been a slug. Off to record last weeks steps now (guessing some amounts as I keep forgetting to grab the pedometer). Keep walking!